Wednesday, September 11, 2013

C4T #1

For my first C4T (Comment for Teacher), I was assigned to Mrs. Kathleen Morris. As of July 2013 she was on maternity leave and that would probably explain why her latest blog post, and the one I will be blogging about, was last posted on July 31, 2013. I don't blame her though! Congratulations to her and her husband. The first post I read and commented on was titled "Blogging in the Literacy Curriculum." I really liked and enjoyed reading it. Honestly as I started this EDM310 class, I was unsure of the importance of blogging, however after reading her post I have changed my mind.

In Mrs. Morris's post she began by saying how beneficial blogging was. As she continued to write she put emphasis on the rate at which technology is evolving. Somehow in the midst of my busy schedule and the stress of trying to make every single post, blog, and project perfect, I have failed to realize the importance of blogging. Instead of complaining about how much work this class is, I need to focus on how blogging is actually becoming very popular in schools. Technology is evolving very rapidly and now that I have been reminded I might have a more positive outlook on this class.

In Mrs. Morris's post she says "The concept of literacy education has changed as technology has evolved. It is no longer enough to teach students how to read books and write on paper. This won't adequately prepare them for their 21st century." I agree with those statements because as much as I hate to say it, I believe books and writing on paper are soon to be replaced by newer forms of technology and we need to be ready for it. This is why I believe our students need to become more transliterate and opened to more technology in the classroom. In my comment to Mrs. Morris I thanked her for reminding me of how fast technology is evolving and for giving me better insight as to why blogging is so much more important that I thought.

Mrs. Kathleen Morris


The second post I read and commented on was titled "Looking Back, Looking Forward" also by Mrs. Kathleen Morris. I really enjoy reading Mrs. Morris's posts because after I read them they leave me inspired, hopeful, and encouraged. I'm encouraged to want to be the kind of teacher that's always looking for ways to help her students learn. Not taking the easy route, but teaching in ways that are efficient and engaging. Trying new ideas and learning from them. Another reason I like reading Mrs. Morris's posts are because after reading them I'm left pondering the way I see myself as a teacher. It's so helpful reading Mrs. Morris's posts because she has been teaching for so long as its great insight.

I've always pictured using lots of worksheets when I become a teacher and it wasn't until I took this class and read some of Mrs. Morris's posts that I realized technology can be so much more useful and time efficient than I once believed it to be. In this post "Looking Back, Looking Forward," Mrs. Morris says "It is clear to me that hands-on, authentic, collaborative, open-ended tasks have a much bigger impact on students than a prescribed worksheet." She also says " Digital resources don't take up space. My work programs used to take up a lot of shelf space. Now I work on them collaboratively with my team via Google Docs." Now having experience with Google Docs, I can understand how useful it can be in the classroom. It is one example of "saving physical space and working more effectively." She said that "parents seem to value worksheets as the key to education," and quite frankly I guess I used to fall into that category before this class. I now am able to understand and see the difference that technology is making in the classroom.

Sometimes I panic when it comes to technology because I'm not that technologically illiterate and all the new information just blows my mind, however, my goal as a future teacher should be and will be to get more comfortable with all the options possible. At the end of the day, teachers have one purpose, and that one purpose is to teach. We need to teach students things that are engaging, important, and useful. If technology proves to be more helpful to a students learning, we need to step out of our comfort zones in behalf of our students.

Thank you Mrs. Morris for the encouragement and inspiration you brought me.

No comments:

Post a Comment