Tuesday, November 12, 2013

C4K Summary for November

Pilgrims of November


C4K #9

For my ninth C4K or my first for the month of November, I was assigned to a student named Makayla from Mr. Mark's 6th grade class at Pt. England School in Auckland, New Zealand. For Makayla's post assignment, they were asked to write about being stranded on an island. In her post "Lost", she wrote about how she got stranded on an island because her plane crashed into a forest. She wrote about how she needed to find shelter to keep her warm and that would protect her. She wrote that she "grew anxious not knowing what would happen next." On the second day of being stranded on the island, she wrote about how she woke up feeling the warmth of sun on her face. She continued by describing how she found a beautiful waterfall and then she fell into a cave, where she found a treasure chest. She concluded her story by writing, "Even though I was stranded on that island, I thought of the positives. I could have that cave as a house, and a great life. A new life. A better life. Being there could be the solution to my problem. I was finally free."

In the comment I left Makayla, I first told her who I was and what had brought me to her blog. I praised her for using lots of vivid imagery and I even gave her examples of the vivid imagery that I loved. I also praised her for having an attention grabbing introduction. I thought she did a great job telling her story. It was very fun and interesting to read. I concluded my comment by telling her that if she wanted, she could visit my blog anytime, and then I left the link.

C4K #10

For my tenth C4K or the last for the month of November, I was assigned to a student named Dawson from Mrs. Cassidy's first grade class from Canada. The first post of Dawson's that I read/watched and commented on was his post Healthy Eating. In this post, his teacher Mrs. Cassidy is filming pictures of his healthy and non-healthy foods. She also asks him questions about healthy and non-healthy foods and he gives his replies. Dawson did a wonderful job drawing and coloring his pictures! He drew pieces of candy, carrots, apples, and many other things. In the comment I left Dawson, I explained to him who I was and I thanked him for sharing his work with the world. I also told him that I loved his pictures of healthy and non-healthy foods. He is a very good artist for being just a first grader! I concluded my comment by reemphasising the importance of eating healthy by saying, eating healthy is important because it gives us more energy among lots of other benefits. Dawson did a wonderful job with this activity, and I praised him for it.

The second post of Dawson's that I read/ looked at and commented on was his post Colours and Feelings. Mrs. Cassidy's class was finishing up their unit on exploring colours and feelings, so her students got to choose the medium they wanted to use, to convey an emotion of their choice. Dawson chose to color madness.

Dawsons coloring of madness


To color madness Dawson chose to use the color red. I first told him that I loved how he chose to use the color red to show anger, or madness. I continued by telling him that when I think of the colors that could represent anger, or madness, I think of red and black so I loved that he chose red. The second thing I told him was that I loved how he colored in different directions. I continued to say that was another great way to portray/ color anger. I told him I thought he did a wonderful job drawing the emotion madness, and that he captured it perfectly. I concluded by encouraging him to keep up the great work and to continue to use his creativity.

1 comment: