Thursday, October 3, 2013

Project #2 PLN Progress Report

PLN stands for "Personal Learning Network." A PLN is the entire collection of people with whom you engage and exchange information, usually doing so online. In Steve Anderson's video Building Your PLN- A Primer for Anyone, he describes PLN's as collaborating and working together globally." Extending network beyond the walls of our schools or family and friends, but diving into the virtual spaces. By using PLN's we are making connections to other educators and students across the world. Steve Anderson also says "by using social media tools like Skype, blogging, commenting, twitter, and other connections, we are connecting to other brilliant people across the world." We don't have to know everything when we have a large network of people who we can have conversations with and ask questions to.

Symbaloo is one example of a PLN. A symbaloo is a way for you to have fast access to the resources that you use the most. You are able to create your own icons which will take you to where ever you set them up to go by just clicking on them. I really like Symbaloo and I am so glad we were introduced to it. It is a great resource that is convenient, easy to use, and easy to understand.

Below is a picture of an example of a Symbaloo.

Symbaloo


In my own personal Symbaloo, I have organized my icons by different colors. My blue icons are located across the top and they are personal links. Including examples like Facebook, Pandora, and We Heart It (a photography site). To the left I have pink icons which are my icons for my own blog, the EDM 310 class blog, and blogger. To the right I have a specific teachers blog icon that I found very helpful and resourceful. I plan to add more teachers blogs as I continue to find ones that are really informative and useful. Across the bottom I have designated all icons that are for my classes here at South, as white. To view my Symbaloo, just click on the following link: Katlyn's Symbaloo.

I have really enjoyed using this PLN. Although I am not a hundred percent used to this resource, I look forward to learning more about it and I also look forward to growing my PLN.

No comments:

Post a Comment